Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I met with my mentor Aaron Stephan on sunday afternoon and i think it went well. He was saying things very similar to Things that were said in critiques during the residency. I think the conversation also revolved around my space and how may not be ideal for what im doing. He gave me ten artists names, some i have been looking at already and some i need to research. This exercise is intended to force me to make a position for myself in relationship to practicing artists. Our next visit we are going to look at each artist together and talk about my relationship to them and the direction i want to go. Also i Attended a visiting artist lecture at MECA last night given by Anne Wilson that was very interesting. I purchased a book she mentioned called "The Craftsman" by Richard Sennett that speaks to the reemergence of the craftsman. She also spoke about the digital age demanding it opposite. She talked about the troves of artist starting art school now that are returning to the material as a way of rebelling from the glowing screen of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment